Friday, July 20, 2012

Savages (D+)

Despite a true desire to see this movie because of a cool cast, sweet trailer with pump you up music by Eminem & Nate Dogg (RIP), and decent reviews (B+ per EW), in my opinion this movie quickly fell to pieces into a heap of steaming poo.  Maybe I shouldn't say "quickly", more like half-way through the movie.  It started off decent and had my interest, although I could have done without the scenes of naked men humping a hot actress...who shows nothing?  :(  And then the acting plunges into something like a direct-to-dvd piece of crap, not something you'd expect with Oliver Stone's name attached to it.  I cringed at each scene with Salma Hayek, her lines were so bad and delivered even worse.  Travolta was a butthead and even looked cross-eyed at times, and I'm not sure what Emile Hircsh's role was other than to talk about computer stuff with a far-out surfer dude accent.  The ending(s)...ugghhh.  Not even going to go there.  Questions:

1) how did Taylor Kisch's buddies from Iraq all still have all their crazy weapons, like sniper rifles and automatic machine guns, explosives for IED's and RPG's?  Does the Army let you bring that stuff home after a tour? 
2) does it hurt to get shot nowadays?  Didn't seem to phase Taylor because he got nailed like 8 times and kept going like the Terminator.  Just not realistic.
3) there were so many mess-ups with scenes, e.g. when Travolta calls Salma Hayek's character Lorena instead of Elena.  Doesn't anyone edit this stuff?  Did Oliver Stone watch the movie before it was released, or maybe he delegated that task to someone else who was retarded/drunk?  Also, there were like 16 scenes that should have been deleted.  Boring or pointless scenes, like when Blake is shopping.  So again, bad editing. Or maybe is was just a lack of a good story, so they filled in the 2 hours with garbage?
4) Benicio was really odd.  Like when Blake Lively spat a big hocker in his face, and then he wiped it and licked his fingers, and then wiped his face with her hair.  That's weird.  I like to imagine that a real Mexican cartel guy would just kill her instantaneously.  Boom, bullet to the head...or maybe chainsaw off the head I don't know.  Hollywood cartels are pretty bizarre for sure.
I seriously wanted to like this movie, but ultimately the end credits wouldn't roll up soon enough. Dragged on and on, lame acting, and poor movie-making in general. Not even cool in a make-fun-of-it kind of way, I just wanted it to be over.  Ok later.



1 comment:

  1. If I comment from my laptop I won't have issues. Damn Blogger.com all to hell due to the mobile phone issues!!

    You hit on like 10 points here that I totally forgot about. Dude, remember at the end when they had a fake end? I know you elude to that above, or is it allude?, anyway you do it above...totally stupid. You and I know this. Dumbness! Also good point about Hayek and that scene with the spit. I actually loved the scene with the spit. Them making Benicio have some oddness to him was one of the best parts. Good for that girl for spitting on him and good for him for licking it up and then wiping it on her.

    Hey man, remember in that scene above where they are wearing those masks? You know what is funny (and I think I mentioned this to you during the viewing), they were trying to be "sneaky" by wearing masks, but EVERYONE knew who they were....they sent a video saying "now we have YOUR girl" but, the recipients of the video weren't fooled...and I don't think they were trying to fool anyone, yet they STILL wore these masks??? Oddness and badness all in one fail swoop.

    ReplyDelete